There’s a lot more to pork than pigs in the mud. For those of us who know this delicious meat best, we know there are a lot of interesting, but little known facts out there about pork. What are they? Check out these ten fun facts:
- Pork is the most popular meat in the world. According to the FAO, 36% of the world’s meat intake is in pork.
- There are twice as many pigs as there are people in Denmark.
- According to Men’s Health, pork has more protein than chicken. It’s also packed with B vitamins, making it a great choice for a meat.
- The longest sausage ever made measured 62.75 km! It was made in Romania in 2014.
- On a per capita basis, the country with the highest pork consumption is Montenegro according to the US National Pork Board.
- Pigs were domesticated over 9000 years ago in 7000 BC. That’s a long time!
- There are more than 180 species of pigs.
- Wonder why pigs like mud? Pigs don’t have sweat glands and some risk sunburn, so in order to keep cool and covered, they enjoy a nice roll in a mud puddle.
- Pigs come in many sizes, shapes, and colours. They typically live for from about 6-10 years.
- Pigs can run a 7-minute mile. Ready to race?
At Spragg’s Meat Shop, we celebrate this fantastic animal by treating them with care throughout their lives. Visit us to learn more!
About Spragg’s Meat Shop Spragg’s Meat Shop is a family-owned and operated business located in Rosemary, Alberta. Greg and Bonnie Spragg raise hogs, process, and market their pork products direct to Albertan consumers. Spragg’s works hard to produce the best pork for Albertans, from the day the pigs are born, to the day the pork chops are cut, bacon is smoked, and the roast is marinated. The Spragg family hopes that you get as much enjoyment eating their pork as they do getting it to your table.