A perfectly roast pork, crunchy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside makes an incredible dish. But, how can you achieve this kitchen miracle? All it takes are a few special steps and some patience, and you’ll be ready to enjoy a delicious pork roast to perfection. Ready to get started? First, pick out your meat. The best cut for this type of roast is a pork butt or shoulder that is between 4 and 8 pounds. It can be boneless, or with the bone in. Check out our delicious Alberta free-range pork roast options here.
- When you’re ready to roast your pork, mix your seasonings in a small bowl. Salt, garlic powder, and black pepper should be your go-to mix, but you can add in additional spices as you wish. Use about ½ tsp of salt, 1.5 tsp of garlic powder and 1.5 tsp of black pepper per 4 pounds of pork. Rub the pork with the mixture.
- Next, place the roast in a roasting pan, fat side up. Pour about 1 cup of chicken broth into the bottom of the pan, a bit more for a larger roast.
- Roast your pork in the oven at 300 F for about 40 minutes per pound. No need to cover the roast.
- Once your roast has been in long enough, remove it from the oven and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Now you’re going to get the browned, crunchy outside. Set your oven to 475 F and put your roast back in, using a clean pan with no broth. Keep an eye on it until it gets golden brown. Remove and serve.
Enjoy! We love roast pork with baked or mashed potatoes and fresh green beans.
About Spragg’s Meat Shop Spragg’s Meat Shop is a family-owned and operated business located in Rosemary, Alberta. Greg and Bonnie Spragg raise hogs, process, and market their pork products direct to Albertan consumers. Spragg’s works hard to produce the best pork for Albertans, from the day the pigs are born, to the day the pork chops are cut, bacon is smoked, and the roast is marinated. The Spragg family hopes that you get as much enjoyment eating their pork as they do getting it to your table.